Give your gardens a second life: plant a second lettuce crop and cut flowers back, giving them another shot of fertilizer.
Miracle-Gro’s Bloom Booster and Espoma’s Garden Tone will help stimulate new growth.
- Do NOT cut your grass too short during hot weather; set your mower deck to 3-4”.
- Re-apply Bayer’s All-In-One Rose & Flower Care every 6 weeks.
- Continue to weed and water regularly; 1″-2″ of water per week is recommended.
- Continue planting perennials.
- Dig, divide and move daylilies after they have finished blooming.
- Stop fertilizing perennials after August 15, allowing them to go dormant before the cold weather.
- Kill weedy perennial grasses in your lawn so you can re-seed grass early in September.
- Cut down stems of hollyhocks if rust-colored spots appear on the undersides of leaves.
- Deadhead annuals and perennials as needed.
- Plant fall crop of peas, spinach and lettuce.
- Keep fertilizing your hanging baskets 1-3 times per week to prolong their beauty.
- Add Espoma’s Tomato-Tone to address soil calcium deficits that can cause blossom end rot.
Click here to see our August sales and events! For more advice, see our Helpful Handouts.