Some simple steps to follow to start growing vegetables from seed:
- Start seeds in trays filled with sterile seed-starting mix, moistened before planting (or use peat pellets).
- Plant seeds no more than 1/4″ deep.
- Water sparingly, enough to keep plants hydrated but not so much that soil is saturated. Avoid letting plants sit in water that accumulates in the bottom of trays.
- Keep them in a warm spot, once seeds sprout move plants to a very bright light. Next to a south or west facing window may be sufficient, but sometimes supplemental light is necessary. Set up a fluorescent lighting fixture positioned just a few inches from the tops of the young plants.
- Fertilize with a weak liquid fertilizer once seedings have their first few sets of leaves.
Start your tomato seeds indoors 6-8 weeks before it’s time to plant in your garden. Keep temps around 75-80 degrees. Wait 7-10 days for seeds to germinate.
PEPPERS & EGGPLANTS:
Start peppers and eggplants 8-10 weeks before it’s time to plant in your garden. Keep temps around 80-90 degrees. Wait 14-21 days for seeds to germinate.
Have another questions? Give us a call or stop in!