Even though we can’t dig in the dirt just yet, we still have some tips and ideas for gardener’s indoors and out!
- Salt used to melt ice on walks and driveways can damage plants and lawns. Take care when spreading salt to avoid contact with your plant material.
- Clean, sharpen and repair shovels, spades, hoes and pruners.
- Repair fences and trellises.
- Check trees and shrubs for rodent feeding or damage.
- Provide food and water for your backyard feathered friends.
- Start some cat grass in pots for your feline.
- Keep houseplants away from frosty windowsills, and repot any that are rootbound.
- Grow fresh parsley and other herbs in a sunny window.
- Inspect stored roots, corms and tubers and pitch any that are soggy or show signs of rot.
- Succulent gardens require little care or space, but be sure to plant in a cactus soil (or a potting mix amended with sand). Let them dry out between watering.
- Begin indoor seeding of annuals, perennials and herbs.
- Give your Valentine a miniature rose or a gift certificate to choose their favorite gardening item.
- Add winter garden art such as statuary, birdbaths and wind chimes to your garden.
- Winter is a good time for garden dreaming… Look through magazines and catalogues for new gardening ideas. Research and try a few new varieties this year. Consider fragrance when planning for the garden.
- Attend Home & Garden Shows for new ideas.
- Join a garden club or civic beautification group.
- Visit a botanical garden or our greenhouse for some tropical beauty!
Click here to see our January/February sales and events! For more advice, see our Helpful Handouts.
Share with your Friends!